THE CANDLE

Fortnite finds its way into classrooms

Battle Royale style games introduce new challenges for teachers and students alike.

Fortnite Youtube channel

Aaron Cohn, Reporter

Fortnite, a Co-operative sandbox survival game, has recently taken over the hallways and classrooms at Scappoose. 

Fortnite was released to the public in July of 2017 by Epic Games and People Can Fly for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems but as of March 12 became available for download on iOS. Since then the game has made its way into SHS.

SHS Sophomore Conner Havlik, is currently ranked 115th in the nation. “It’s a statistical game that is constantly being updated and it is a really good company” said Havlik who plays 2-3 hours a day.

Fortnite Battle Royale is a 100 multiplayer shooter game. Participants leap from a plane onto an island, where they fight until only one remains. Around the island are weapons and other items that players must find and arm themselves with, as they traverse the area. Players can also use resources to build structures to defend and hide themselves. Throughout the game the playable area is constantly reduced, drawing the remaining players closer together. The last person standing is victorious.

One Scappoose teacher had a different approach to the battle royale craze. When SHS Senior Steven Hensley was playing PUBG (another battle royale style mobile game,) social studies teacher Dennis Olstedt, acquired Hensley’s phone, finished the game and won. “I literally had no idea what I was doing” said Olstedt.

With Fortnite on mobile, some teachers have to combat this new issue. Student teacher Megan Fajardo stops the issue before it happens. “Anytime they are done early, Fortnite is the first thing to come out. Sometimes I tell them before class [that] I don’t want to see Fortnite out.”

The game has even made its way into school elections. SHS Junior and next years ASB President Riley Nuss, used Fortnite as a theme for one of her ASB campaign posters.