THE CANDLE

Nike sponsorship means new uniforms and gear for athletes

Equipped with a new Nike sponsorship through Gear Up Sports, the school looks to bring new uniforms to athletes.

Jaden Wardwell and Seth Vaughn

Jaden Wardwell and Seth Vaughn

Seth Vaughn and Jaden Wardwell

Most of our sports teams currently have Nike uniforms provided for athletes. However, sports such as cheerleading and swimming require athletes to buy their own.

Every Varsity sport within the school that Nike offers uniforms for is in a queue to get new ones. Every 3 years a team will get new uniforms and under the current contract the school has with Gear Up Sports, they will be Nike as long as Nike offers uniforms for the sport. At the head of the sponsorship, is our Athletic Director Robert Medley. 

“All of our teams are on 3 year rotations for uniforms. So the district buys new uniforms for any team that is due. We had many programs this year who were up for new uniforms and next year we will have more. Within 3 years, the transition will happen, where all our varsity teams are in Nike uniforms,” said Medley.

When asked about why some sports do not fall under the contract Medley said, “The problem is that Nike just doesn’t offer it. They do not have a wrestling singlet or any kind of competitive swimwear. Our 3 year window does not include wrestling or swimming because of that. We will have to find another option.”

We are not directly sponsored with Nike.  

“We don’t talk directly with Nike. We go through what you would call a middle man. Gear Up Sports is the company that we place the order with and they place it with Nike. It’s actually a pretty easy and simple process,” said Medley, describing the process of acquiring uniforms.

Scappoose is different from other school in Oregon. Many high schools in the state have endorsements from Nike directly and not from a ‘middle man’. Next year, we will be competing as a 5a school. Many 5a schools, unlike 4a, have direct sponsorship’s with Nike.

As the 3 year cycle of new uniforms continues, Medley does not know for sure yet about the future of the current contract with Gear Up Sports.

“It’s hard to tell at this point if we are going to renew it or not. It is an easy process and we like it, but we will have to consider things like price and quality. We still have two years to decide,” he said.

As the contract with Gear Up Sports continues, more sports will get new uniforms. Unlike the past, we are now on a consistent schedule to make sure every sport is treated equally with new uniforms and gear. The future is uncertain, but for now, we are a Nike school for the first time. 

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Nike sponsorship means new uniforms and gear for athletes”

1. Sharon Wardwell on April 24th, 2018 10:50 am

Well written article! I believe this article to be fair to all sides-but it does appear that Wrestling & Swimming have not been treated fairly with uniforms.

[Reply]

2. Eugene Wardwell on April 24th, 2018 11:03 am

Well done, article, it begins out the jest of justice of who gets the most out of sponsirship.

[Reply]

Comments are approved by The Candle staff prior to publication. We do not allow the use of anonymous comments, false names, email addresses, or any other false information in comments. If you believe and error has been published please email us at [email protected]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Nike sponsorship means new uniforms and gear for athletes

Softball

Softball clinches Cowapa League

Baseball

Baseball aims for postseason

Features

The making of Motoclub

Features

Senior extracurricular Q & A: Alyson Worthington

Baseball

Boys baseball wins 6-5 at Cascade in season opener

Sports

Baseball season preview – 2018

Sports

Eggers places 4th, Jamerson 5th, Degrande 6th, at 4A boys state wrestling meet

Features

Senior extracurricular Q&A: Jerad Toman

Sports

Scappoose boys swim place 9th at 4A state meet

Showcase

The Candle Magazine Issue I

The Student News Site of Scappoose High School