SHS Track and Field donates $2,045 in support of Parkinson’s

Scappoose Track and Field donates to Parkinson's Resources of Oregon in hopes of spreading awareness and supporting those diagnosed with the disease.

Members+from+the+SHS+Track+and+Field+Team+poses+with+the+check+for+PRO.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Members from the SHS Track and Field Team poses with the check for PRO.

Chase Bakkensen, Reporter

Yesterday the Scappoose track and Field team posed with a check of $2,045, that they came up with through open donations, a track walk/jogathon, selling shirts and a teachers vs. staff basket ball game. The money is being donated to the non-profit, Parkinson’s Resources of Oregon(PRO).

PRO was founded in 1980 with the missions to empower individuals to meet the challenges of living with Parkinson’s Disease through information, education, personal support and advocacy for a cure. The money fundraiser by Scappoose Track will be used for different programs and services PRO offers, such as an Advanced Stage Family Caregiver Training and Patient Empowerment Lectures.

Senior Alyssa Baird worked with PRO and track coach David Harley to plan these events. Alyssa was motivated to fund raise for PRO because of her grandfather’s diagnosis last fall and because of the lack of public awareness regarding Parkinson’s disease.

When asked about how she thought the fundraiser went she said, “Great! It was fun,”. She also announced that the fundraiser will be an annual event. Next year sophomores Emma Jones and Brisyn Maller will be continuing it until they graduate and can pass it on in 2020.