THE CANDLE

Letters to the Editor: Are students oversharing on social media?

Do you think teens today publicize their lives too much on platforms such as social media? Where should the line be drawn between what should be shared publicly and be kept private?

Teens publicize their lives too much on social media. It has become a fascination in everyday life to ensure your social media presence is constantly updated. A teens private life has now become their public life. The line needs to be drawn somewhere.

It is not okay for constant pictures of a person and their partner to be all over social media. It creates a relationship that is superficial, less focused on being loving and caring. Teens turning their private life into their public life is unhealthy.

Trent LaMont, Junior

Scrolling through Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, you can learn a lot about someone’s personal life. Their full name, date of birth, friends and so on. This has changed our views of public sharing drastically. Just a few years ago my parents would lecture me about never telling strangers my name. Now, just about anyone in the world can figure out your name as well as other valuable information.

Where should the line be drawn? In our current society it would be unrealistic (and hypocritical) for me to preach removing or deleting all social media platforms. That being said, all of the content that one does post needs to be censored appropriately. All of your social media posts can be tracked directly back to you, so whatever is posted needs to be things you would not be embarrassed by if your family or future employer come across. If not being careful, one can create a lot of trouble for themselves.

Robyn Stewart, Senior

Teens definitely overshare their personal information online. On its own, this would not be problematic, however, it is the ignorance behind these teens that makes these online ‘loud mouths’ an issue. When someone posts a picture of themselves not properly clothed or consuming drugs/alcohol, rather than accepting their fault and understanding that the internet is a black hole of information, they blame their peers for “snaking” on them when their parents or administration get involved.

People post because they want to be acknowledged and heard. Every individual has a personal boundary that they won’t pass, yet these boundaries range from person to person. Generally, it is acceptable to post about something if it will still be relevant, and one will not want to delete the post in two years.

Sarah Rosenthal, Junior

Teens in my mind can publicize as much as they want. They are the ones taking into consideration that anyone can see what they say/post, if you disagree or don’t like how someone may publicize their life you can unfollow them. The line needs to be drawn when you start sharing your private information, personal stuff. You need to consider the fact that people may not want to hear about every single aspect of your life.

Emma Williams, Freshman

I think how much of a teens life is made public should be up to them. A lot of students (myself included) have multiple social media accounts, with one being superficial and posting day to day photos and the other account that is private where they only let people they know see it.

I see nothing wrong with it, what you share on social media is your personal information and thus is your personal decision. I think that where the line is drawn on what is too much depends on the privacy settings of your account and who you choose to let follow, as well as what you are comfortable letting others know about you.

Aurora Stanley, Junior