Girls Golf wins league

Varsity girls golf takes first at districts.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Golf wins league

The varsity girls golf team

The varsity girls golf team

The varsity girls golf team

The varsity girls golf team

Shaylan Smith, Reporter

On March 1, the varsity girls golf team placed first in districts at the Astoria Golf and Country Club for the last time in Cowapa League.

Scappoose ended the competition with a team score of 408. Valley Catholic came in second with a team score of 425 and Astoria placed third, scoring 453.

Seniors Morgan Hall and Kaitlyn Bakkensen and Sophomore Callie Enos all placed individually as well. Hall placed first with a score of 86, Bakkensen came in third scoring a 93 and Enos tied for seventh with a score of 107, breaking her personal record by ten strokes.

“I did better than I have this season. Morgan, Callie and Kenzie all did really good too,” said Bakkensen. “We all know we can do better, but we have improved a lot since the beginning of the season. I think we stand a good chance against the teams in our league at regionals,” she said.

Regionals are fast approaching, leaving little time for practice between competitions. Hall is hoping she and the team play the same as, or better, than they did at districts. She admits they still have room for improvement before regionals next week. “My teammates need to work on their shorter game and I need to improve on my approach shots to the green,” said Hall.

Regionals will be taking place on Monday, May 7 and Tuesday, May 8 at Quail Valley Golf Course. The top two teams will qualify for state, while the top five individuals will qualify as well.