THE CANDLE

Baseball aims for postseason

With one game left, the baseball team makes their final push for the postseason.

Jaden Wardwell, Reporter

Ranked #12 in the state, baseball has had a successful season so far. They are 14-10 overall, and 7-4 in league.

Eight teams, including the #1 team from the Cowapa, Tri-Valley, Oregon West, Sky-Em, Far West, Skyline and Greater Oregon leagues, along with the next highest ranked team between the #2’s from the aforementioned leagues, will automatically qualify for the first round of the OSAA 16-team bracket (Group A). Qualifications are based on regular season and/or district tournament play.  Each league determines how they will select their allotted playoff spots (OSAA). There are also a series of play-in games among the #2 ranked teams in each league, along with some #3’s. The winners of the play-in games get into playoffs. Scappoose Baseball is currently in position to take part in a play-in game.

When asked about what the team needs to do to make the playoffs, Senior first basemen Bradley Verbout said, “We just have to come together and buckle down. We have been struggling as of late, but we just need to execute on a game to game basis.”

As Verbout mentioned, the team has been struggling as of late. They are 3-3 over their last six games, and if they hope to win the Cowapa League, they will have to improve down the stretch and make less errors. Senior outfielder Jerad Toman agrees.

“We just need to cut down on errors and silly mistakes honestly. We need to be better as a team, especially in the field. If we can do that we can make the playoffs and hopefully make a deep run,” said Toman.

With one game left, the team aims to make their final push for the postseason. The game is a league game against Seaside, which will have major playoff implications. For more stats and info, visit http://www.osaa.org/teams/23138