Keeping Germans Weird

GAPP students make a trip to Portland (OR) for a day.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Keeping Germans Weird

German exchange students and fellow SHS students pose near the Portland Zoo.

Erin Sprecher, Reporter

During the three weeks, GAPP students are in America, them and their host can go on three trips that are pieced together by fellow SHS teachers. Each week features a new trip and new experiences. The trips began close to home, as GAPP travels to Portland Oregon for a day.

With free access to all public transportation and a meetup time in Pioneer Square, GAPP students were granted access to the entire city of Portland, letting their feet carry them to where ever they desired.

After giggling about the random names of donuts from ‘Voodoo Donuts’, GAPP found themselves squeezed on two picnic tables along the busy streets of Portland. Only a few feet away, laid four police officers writing up a ticket for a man near a crosswalk sign.

Instead of being engulfed by the actions of the officers, German students were more intrigued by the figure on the crosswalk sign. The figure had a hula hoop around its waist, while a small clown nose was plastered on its face.

A few German students had a unique experience, as a conversation was sparked with a police officer. Questions of whether you could only cross this crosswalk if you had a hula hoop and a bright red nose began to arise. Within the heat of the moment, German exchange student, Randy Kamentz, questioned the police officers about the sign. The officers had a laugh about the situation and jokingly told Randy that you will indeed need a hula hoop and a red clown nose to cross the street.

After the event, GAPP students went on their way to skip down to the Portland Waterfront and enjoy the loud geese.