THE CANDLE

Football Game Preview: Scappoose Vs. La Salle

On Friday, the football team will face off against La Salle in their most important game of the season.

Coach Sean McNabb addresses his team after a win against Cleveland.

Steve Brandon of The Spotlight

Steve Brandon of The Spotlight

At 7 pm on Friday, all lights will be on the football team as they take the field against La Salle. The game will influence what seed both teams will be at the start of the playoffs next week. Ranked number 6 in the state, a win would be huge for the Indians as a higher seed means an opponent with a worse record. This goes for number 11 La Salle as well.

Coming off a big 50-21 win at Cleveland, the Indians will look to carry their high powered offense and running game into the game against La Salle.

“Our running game has been great so far and has gotten us a lot of wins,” said running back Quincy Cleveland, “We definitely need to carry that into this week in order to win. We are hungry for this, and we want that higher seed, and I’m looking forward to it.”

That amazing running game produced 29 carries for 193 yards against Cleveland, a major key in the blowout victory. The Indians also saw major improvement out of quarterback Jakobi Kessi, who along with freshman Luke McNabb threw for 221 yards.

“We just opened it up and wanted to take some shots early. [Coach] McNabb called the plays, we executed, and the receivers made some big plays,” said Kessi.

Even coming off of a 29 point win, it’s not all positives for the Indians, as they dropped one spot in the rankings this week after giving up 21 points to a 1-7 team. Linebacker Matthew Roth and the defense will look to sure things up as they go up against a much more high powered offense. “We need to work on communication,” he said, “We have been working on it and doing really good but it will improve things on defense a lot. We just have to know our responsibilities and work as a unit.”

Another area of focus for the Indians is penalties, said receiver Gavin Larson. “All year we have been shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties, so we are just trying to clean up the smaller things,” he said.

Just two days of practice remain before Friday’s big game, arguably the biggest of the year for the Indians. A win would likely mean playing either South Eugene (5-3) or Crescent Valley (5-3). On the other hand, a loss could mean playing 7-1 Silverton in the first round.

You can find a broadcast and live updates on the game here, and a playoff bracket which will be updated after the seed games played Friday, hereWe will also have live scoring available on our twitter page, live from the game, which you can find at https://twitter.com/thecandlenews.