Scappoose High School Presents “The Diviners”

The cast and crew are ready to share their show “The Diviners.”

Back to Article
Back to Article

C.C. Showers and Buddy durring the final scene

Tetrin Presnell, Reporter

Scappoose Theater presents their fall show. “The Diviners,” written by Jim Leonard Jr, tells the story of a young man with an acute fear of water who is guided by a disillusioned preacher. It takes place in the 1930’s during the time of the Great Depression. The Diviners will be performed October 25-27 at 7 P.M. and a matinee performance on October 27th at 2 P.M.

The Diviners has a small cast comprised of 11 people. Mr. Olson commented, “I actually did this play myself in high school, I played one of the two main characters, the same one Steven Hilts plays (Buddy), so I have a pretty deep personal connection to it, already knew this story and it was incredibly meaningful to me at the time. So I just wanted to share that story and that experience with the actors.”

Steven Hilts, one of the main characters says, “I play Buddy Laman, he has a developmental issue, and he contributes to the whole play because everybody surrounds him with love. I just feel like he’s always a part of this, of this community.”

The cast, crew, and director have been working hard on this play since early October.  Mr. Olson mentioned, “… A diviner could either be someone who is looking for water or it could mean someone who’s just looking for something and so I challenged the actors to think about what their characters were divining for.”