THE CANDLE

Rising Levels of Stress in Students

Over the years, research has been conducted that explains the uptick of anxiety and stress in students

Credit to Tetrin Presnell

Credit to Tetrin Presnell

Credit to Tetrin Presnell

Tetrin Presnell, Reporter

In the past five years, schools have observed a rise of stress in students. To combat this, Scappoose High School has made some changes to decrease stress levels, such as introducing a mindful education class and Finley the therapy dog.

Although the internet does influence stress, there are many other things at play. There has been a significant increase in the number of teenagers diagnosed with anxiety disorders and depression.

Ms. Scott, one of our school counselors, stated, “I believe there are multiple factors that have contributed to this– social media; the ease, ability to anonymously post, bully, and spread misinformation on various internet platforms; cell phones; exposure to news 24/7; politics; a culture that labels individuals as “snitches” or “snakes”; a lack of appropriate coping skills; adults enabling student’s behavior; lack of understanding by adults about the rapid increases in technology children are exposed to and dealing with; family; friends; grades/academics; and much more!”

This year, all Scappoose High School counselors took an online course related to stress and anxiety to better understand how to support students.

As awareness of mental health increases, our schools attempt to aid students in what we now know is an important element to their education. Mrs. Phillips, another of Scappoose High school’s counselors, commented, “I think because there is more of an awareness, so there’s less stigma in going to get help. But it’s also… there is an increase in students not knowing how to handle the stress and anxiety they face…” and stated, “The school environment can kind of go both ways, it can be the protector factor or it can become like a bigger area of stress with students not seeking help.”

In a UCLA survey, 41% of students in 2017 said that they felt overwhelmed. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, anxiety is the most common mental illness in the United States, as it affects almost one-third of the population. Unfortunately, it is also most often overlooked because of its commonness and the fact that most people have it to some degree.

Scappoose High School is now providing stress relievers for their students because it has been established how important mental health is. As time progresses, hopefully, new research will lead to a decrease in stress levels and better ways to handle said stress.

About the Writer
Tetrin Presnell, Reporter

Grade: 12

Years on Staff: First year on staff

Most Passionate About: LGBTQ+ awareness and acceptance

Favorite Quote: “If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” -Albert Einstein 

Strange Fact About You: I call hugs “attacks”.