THE CANDLE

Call Of Duty Black Ops 4 Review

Call of Duty Black Ops 4 , the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Call Of Duty BlackOps 4

Ca

Call Of Duty BlackOps 4

Aaron Cohn, Reporter

Last month, the newest Call of Duty, ‘Black Ops 4’ was released. Instead of the single-player campaign, we are left with ‘Blackout’, which is Call of Duty’s take on a battle royale. BO4 keeps the specialist system from BO3 (characters with abilities). This year’s new Call of Duty game gives the appearance of doing fairly well, with 88% of Google users liking the game.

The game has a mediocre multiplayer, however, ‘BlackOut’ is an enjoyable battle royale. If ‘BlackOut’ is the only reason you want to purchase BO4, then it is not worth the $60 price tag. There are other battle royales at a cheaper price with a similar gameplay, whether that be ‘one man for themselves’ or squads going up to four people. ‘BlackOut’ brings very little new material to the battle royale scene.

‘BlackOut’ feels like other battle royales, but somewhat faster with some interesting takes on it. A past zombie area, ‘Diner’, is featured in the ‘BlackOut’ game mode. Zombies spawn only in the ‘Diner’ and a few other places in the ‘BlackOut’ map.

The zombies gameplay is an enjoyable part. The setting in the Roman Colosseum provides good nostalgia to Black Ops 1 and 2. There are some new ‘gladiator’ zombies that are a bit harder to kill than the average Joe. Avoiding the bias of nostalgia, the Easter Egg finding couldn’t be better throughout the zombies mode. Without ruining the hunt, the Easter Egg in BO4 is an easy find.

The new game modes that are offered are enjoyable in combination with original modes, like ‘Domination’ or ‘Team Deathmatch’. However, the new game mode, ‘Heist’, plays fast with a CSGO style of gameplay.

Mic usage is minimal like past Call of Duties. In the game, talking is not a reality, and it has been like this in recent years. This is not a fault in the Call of Duty games.

Although it’s hard to keep someone interested in a game for so long, BO4 does so for a few hours at a time, which is nice. The primary issues at hand (At least for PC users) is graphical. The issue is that the ‘BlackOut’ games wouldn’t load at all. For an example, once loaded into ‘BlackOut’ the screen would go completely black with some objects on display. Other PC users have reported this issue. A small number of console users have reported this issue on Reddit, however, they have reported low frame rates. The reason for this is most likely the fact that it’s a newer game.

Other than technical difficulties the game is fun for a bit. BO4 is not as complex as Rainbow Six Siege, however, it is easier to pick up. My personal rating is a 7/10. It is an entertaining and fun game, but it doesn’t bring anything new to the table other than COD’s take on battle royale.

About the Writer
Aaron Cohn, Photo Editor

Grade: 12

Years on Staff: Second year on staff

Most Passionate About: Magic The Gathering and spicy food

Favorite Quote: “Screw it, we’ll do it live.”

Strange Fact About You: I went to Honduras for a science expedition