THE CANDLE

Ring Of Elysium Game Review

Is Ring of Elysium just another battle royale?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ring Of Elysium Game Review

Aaron Cohn, Reporter

Released on September 19th for PC, “Ring of Elysium” (ROE) is a multiplayer battle royale.

The game is developed by a Chinese company, ‘Tencent Games’. ROE is for free on Steam, which is an online retailer for PC gamers. The reason for ROE being free can be explained by simply looking at the subsidiaries. Some of the subsidiaries are ‘Riot Games’ and ‘Epic Games’. Both of these companies have successfully created free games such as, ‘Fortnite’ and ‘League of Legends’. Overall, ROE has a 7/10 rating on Steam, which is pretty average.

The graphics are decent, there are some bugs but that is to be expected from an early access game.

‘How is the game different from other battle royales?’, this is a big question, due to so many battle royales floating around nowadays. The main difference is the movement and class in ROE. There are three classes; ‘Snowboarding’ which is the medium speed class, with medium backpack space. The ‘Hang Glider’ class which is the fastest movement, however, the smallest pack. Finally, the ‘Climber’ class which is a slower movement, but contains more pack space.

With 7.1 hrs of playtime on my record, the game is easy to learn. The guns are not hard to use, however, ROE’s take on the last man standing takes a different path than most battle royales. The first four players to the rescue chopper, win the game and if you don’t make it to the chopper then you lose. This makes winning extremely difficult due to the chopper usually being out in the open, therefore making you an easy target to kill.

ROE also has a loot crate system in which you can get items from, think of it like scratch-off tickets.

Graphics are decent with the cost being free and the gameplay is somewhat different, not groundbreaking, but different. I give the game a rating of 7/10. The cost of the game plays a large part in the rating. For this kind of gameplay, you could easily spend $10 on the game, but Tencent Games decided to place the game for free.