THE CANDLE

Bohemian Rhapsody

The new movie Bohemian Rhapsody, portrays Freddie Mercury’s life events.

20th Century Fox

Isaac Walton, Reporter

Bohemian Rhapsody, directed by Brian Singer and then by Dexter Fletcher, portrays the life of the famed musician, Freddie Mercury.

From his triumphant upbringing to his tragic resolution, we are taken through the life of Freddie (Rami Malek) as he struggles with homosexuality, drug use, unaccepting family, and loss of those that he cares for.

We begin with the introduction of our lead Character Freddie (currently still known as Farrokh Bulsara) who is working as a luggage handler at an airport, as he works his way up the chain from joining his favorite band, ‘Smile’, to the evolution of the band that we know today as ‘Queen’.

The depiction of Freddie was done terrifically by Rami, as he captured the essence who Freddie Mercury really was. Matching his mannerisms, the famous overbite, and his unmistakable stage presence.

One of the rather more memorable parts of the movie was the finale, which was the legendary performance at the Live Aid concert in 1985. This event had been completely recreated by the studio, from the steps he took on stage to the gestures he made with his hands.

Other terrific recreations were the creative steps taken to develop some of their cult classic songs such as “We Will Rock You’, ‘Another one bites the dust’, and of course ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’. We get to see how Rhapsody was actually created in a barn secluded from the rest of the world, rather than in a usual recording studio.

There is also a very appreciated cameo from Mike Myers who plays Ray Foster, who refused to green light Rhapsody originally. When Myers character says, “Well, that’s the kind of songs teenagers can crank up the volume in their car and bang their heads to. ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ will never be that song”, this is a clever reference to Mike Myers portrayal of Wayne Campbell in the 1992 film ‘Wayne’s World’. During the beginning of ‘Wayne’s World’, Wayne and his friends actually have a rather famous scene of themselves singing Bohemian Rhapsody together, this scene is what caused the song to find itself located on the top charts once again.

Freddie’s homosexuality also plays a large part in the events, describing his realization of the fact and how it caused him to lose his wife, Mary Austin (Lucy Boynton), and as it became the cause of his terminal diagnosis.

I think this was an amazing movie, documenting the events and real-life situations of the famed musician and his friends who comprise ‘Queen’. The actors who portrayed Roger Taylor (Ben Hardy), John Deacon (Joseph Mazzello),  Brian May (Gwilym Lee) and Freddie Mercury did an amazing job in bringing their characters to life. Talks of an Oscar for Rami’s performance are being widely spread around.

Although Mercury’s life wasn’t an actual movie, we are given events of his life that are overly dramatic. To be fair if these creative steps were not taken the film could have taken a more documentary type route. Nonetheless, a fantastic film about a fantastic human being was created. I highly recommend watching it even if you are hardly a fan.

About the Writer
Isaac Walton, Features Editor

Grade: 12

Years on Staff: Second year on staff

Most Passionate About: Gaining knowledge and new experiences

Favorite...