THE CANDLE

Is Respect a Priority at SHS?

Do we need to be a little more courteous at SHS? We asked a few students here to find out more.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Respect a Priority at SHS?

Emma Kessi

Randomly, students at Scappoose High School were asked, “Do you believe students and teachers treat each other with respect at SHS or is there an imbalance in the relationship? If there is an imbalance what do you believe that imbalance is and why do you think it happens?”

“Overall, teachers show respect to students even if they are angry or frustrated. Students do not always do so. I think this happens for a couple of reasons. First of all, some students may not treat teachers with respect because they do not care about the class. They also may be insecure or struggling with personal issues. Everyone is different but the Scappoose community is very good.”

~Anonymous

“I believe students and teachers treat each other with respect depending on the student, teacher, and issue. There is respect for teachers and students as humans; respect for personal space and wanting your best interest. But when some issues such as politics or moral problems some teachers like to tell you that you are wrong or they try to convince you that their opinion is right. I believe some kids have no respect for anything or anyone; with them being on their phones and using inappropriate language. I believe some kids have no respect because of the way that they were raised. Sometimes there’s an imbalance but not too much of the time, there is always going to be a few bad eggs in a bunch. I believe that the reason why it happens is that personalities clash and people can be sometimes stubborn with their beliefs and morals.”

~Etosha Lopez, Junior

“In SHS there is a lot of discrimination and disrespect with teachers and even substitutes! Many people may think this all depends on the teacher, maybe it’s the way they dress, or the way they teach or it may be that they take your phone away and tell you to do the task at hand. All they want is for us to graduate and success in life but we don’t see that. Everyone deserves respect especially the people who want the best for you.”

~Valerie Bermudez, Junior

“I believe students and teachers get along very well, for the most part. That goes with saying, I’ve witnessed some substitute teachers get completely bashed by students because they feel like they won’t get in trouble since they’re only a substitute. Most of the teachers here treat the students with respect and vise-versa.”

~Drew Padilla, Junior

“I think usually there’s an imbalance in the relationship on the students’ side. It could be the teacher too but most often a student won’t treat teachers with respect. This happens for a variety of reasons: students don’t enjoy when they are made to do something all day that they don’t really enjoy, they don’t like teachers, or even just because when they disrespect a teacher other people think its funny and encourage it.”

~Tanner Baska, Junior

“I believe we have a positive staff and most are respectful to students. Students at SHS are lucky to have such a tight-knit and understanding community of teachers who are eager to see kids thrive and are willing to go out of their way to make sure students succeed. Students are often prideful and get frustrated at inconveniences which cause disrespect towards teachers, and it is easy for everyone to become upset. I do feel that in general our student-teacher relationships are healthy and problems are always attempted to be worked through in the best way possible.”

~Rachel Lauridsen, Junior

“I most certainly see an imbalance with the teachers, it all started at the beginning of the year. I know there are a couple of teachers everyone hates, but there is one teacher that comes up too much, I have in fact as one of my teachers right now. The teacher is always out to get the dumb ones, in my class period the teacher even pointed out the dumb kids from the smart kids. She doesn’t help anyone in the class and even when you ask for help she totally ignores it. If you have a bad grade in her class the teacher will say it out loud and embarrass you in front of the whole class, and after the public humiliation will say “you need to do better’ and then they will compare the kid that is not doing so well to a really smart kid and will say “you should be like so and so ~ they are always on task.” All and all, not a great experience.” 

~Anonymous

“Most teachers are respectful in my opinion, but I’ve noticed that multiple teachers will shame a person for asking for help, then after the student gets a bad grade will ask why they didn’t ask for help before. It’s not a common occurrence, but it does happen. I think that this happens because the teacher can not comprehend the fact that some students don’t learn well with their teaching style.” 

~Anonymous

“Overall I think teachers and students treat each other with respect at our school. However, there are times when I have not been respected by teachers. For instance, I have been in classes where the teacher literally calls us stupid. I have definitely seen students disrespect teachers, but sometimes that’s because the teacher doesn’t respect them either. I get it if the teacher is jokingly calling us dumb and its funny but it is pretty uncomfortable when it is a hurtful comment.”

~Anonymous

“I believe that what I’ve seen is that teachers are always respectful to students. Students, on the other hand, say things about teachers behind their backs. Many students don’t realize that the teacher is either trying to help or trying to be funny. Many students overreact to things the teachers do to help, then they end up hating the teacher. Students need to respect teachers like how teachers respect their students.”

~Anonymous

“I believe that there is an imbalance in the students and teachers here at SHS. Some teachers are nice but others not so much. The kids are mean too at times and I feel like it’s not okay. We as students feel like if we aren’t doing very well in school the teachers don’t really care and give up, unlike 4.0 students or kids with mostly good grades who I have noticed teachers favoring. They probably don’t see how it hurts the students when one by one their teacher give up on them, it makes you feel like you are nothing even if you give it all you got. Then because you don’t feel appreciated you might act disrespectful and even skip school.”

~Anonymous

“I believe students and teachers treat each other with respect for the most part. Almost all the teachers want us to succeed and will help us get there. There is always that one kid who is disrespectful or that teacher who picks favorites or isn’t willing to help as much as needed, but most of us here at SHS are respectful of each other. I think both sides see and value each other and are respectful.”

~Anonymous 

About the Writer
Emma Kessi, Reporter

Grade: 11th

Years on Staff: First year on staff

Most Passionate About: Traveling, playing soccer, photography, and cooking.

Favorite...