THE CANDLE

Scum Review

Is Scum the next big survival game.

Aaron Cohn, Reporter

Scum is a new survival game released early August of 2018.  You play as a prisoner on a deserted island, the story doesn’t get much further in depth as to why you are on this island to begin with.

Scum still in ‘early access’, meaning the game is out, but not 100% finished, so the standards are a little lower than compared to a finished game.

On Steam, ‘Scum’ has a 6/10 review. A lot of player reviews on Steam claim the game is full of hackers. In my personal experience, I have not encountered a hacker.

Scum on paper sounds great. You live a virtual day-to-day life. You have to keep track of your metabolism, and follow the requirements of peeing and pooping (there are censorship settings to turn off the view.) Though it sounds good on paper, it does not transfer well.

Scum plays very similarly to ‘Rust’, which is another survival game. While Scum also has familiar feel to games like the game ‘DayZ’, There are alot of bugs in this game. The bugs range from others seeing you through walls, to getting stuck in walls, and the map not rendering all the way. With the game being in beta this is bound to happen. As of now, the bugs are still not fixed.

Survival games all have the same formula of finding food/water, getting gear, and looting from other players. Scum adds other factors that affect your gameplay. For an example, if you are overweight, you run slower but you are smarter. If you are thin, you have to keep a diet of food or you will gain weight, you also have the advantage of having more energy.

Hopefully the game does get more updates as its developers continue to add more. As of now, my review will stay with Steam at a rating of 6/10. There are too many bugs, and too few things to do in the game. Scum also does not add anything new to the genre of survival games.

The developers of Scum were making updates, but it’s slowed down with the newest update having the ability show explicit content.

The gameplay does not hold my interest. It sounds interesting to keep track of metabolism, but in Scum it’s nearly impossible to find food or water. You need to find guns and ammo, which are not too hard to find.