THE CANDLE

Swim Season Splashes Into Action

Scappoose High School swim team looks forward to another successful season.

Eisenschmidt Pool

Eisenschmidt Pool

Ian Johnson

The smell of chlorine, the sounds of the water splashing around, and the tight swim caps hold back the hair of swimmers as they wait on their platform. For some, being in the water is second nature, while for others, it’s a whole new experience. As the swim team gathers and starts practices, they anticipate the first meet of the year, hoping to have another successful season.

Leadership from older athletes is always an essential part of teams having success year after year. Senior captain Quincy Reynolds has been a four-year swimmer and has been apart of some record-breaking teams. He brings experience to a team with a lot of first-time swimmers.

“We have a really strong team this year and I am confident in our ability to be pretty successful,” said Reynolds. “I have had great leaders over my years of swim and they have helped me be prepared to lead this team now that I am a senior. I am excited to see how we can grow as a team and as individuals.”

Familiarity in the program can go a long way in making the preseason run smoothly and allowing for smooth practices with little teaching required. Junior Kelsey Ela and sophomore Will Blair, both returners from last years team, are ready to take the success of last year and build on it, hoping to end up still swimming in the postseason.

“This group of swimmers really just goes all out. Everyone seems dedicated and focused, regardless of skill or experience. Both the boys and girls teams are very excited for the season; there is a lot of positive energy surrounding our team, and it is a lot of fun,” said Ela.

“I think we will have improvement in a lot of our events this year. All the returners have gotten better and put in a lot of hard work. We just try and go out each meet and swim our best,” said Blair.

As some swimmers feel comfort in the water, to others it can be a whole new experience. Lots of people every year try out swim team for the first time. Senior Brendyn Nollette and sophomore Mya Carpenter are first-time swimmers and have had nothing short of a great first couple practices, feeling right where they belong.

“It was a really easy transition. The people and the coaching staff are very helpful and nice. Everyone is welcoming and my first-day nerves were gone very quick. I have come to love it,” said Carpenter.

“It is very tiring and hard, but it is a blast. It’s competitive and we have a lot of talent, but I really like learning a new sport and trying to get better. I enjoy being around a lot of my friends and am glad I chose to do this for my last year,” said Nollette.

Come to support the swim team in a home meet this Saturday at Eisenschmidt Pool. For results of each meet and the full schedule, click here.

About the Writer
Ian Johnson, Reporter, Sports Editor

Grade: 12

Years on Staff: First year on staff

Most Passionate About: Sports, school, friends, family, fun

Favorite Quote: "Earn your weekend!"...