THE CANDLE

Girls Wrestling Season Start is a Take Down

In their first official season, girls wrestling team looks to keep growing in numbers and in skill.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emma Jones after a win

Emma Jones after a win

Emma Jones after a win

Emma Jones after a win

Ian Johnson, Reporter, Sports Editor

With the winter sports season in full swing, the girls wrestling team has been taken to a new level this year, as it is their first year as an official OSAA team. As meets and practices take place, the girls settle in and gather focus for the long season ahead.  

Joining a sport for the first time can be nerve-racking, but a sport that has previously only had a boys team at SHS adds a little bit more pressure. First-year wrestlers Ruby Gibson and Shayna Redpath are enjoying it overall, but know it takes a large amount of commitment.

“Practice was helpful for getting a feel for the sport and learning the basics, but I just loved having my first match. It was a thrill,” said Gibson. “I liked doing something not every girl has done. It is a challenge physically and mentally, but I am glad I joined the sport for sure.”

“You don’t realize you are using your whole body until those first couple practices were over,” recalled Redpath. “Even though I am new to the sport and a girl, I haven’t felt left out of anything. I love the atmosphere and everyone is focused on getting better.”

Although this is their first official season as a recognized sport, plenty of girls wrestled last year for Scappoose High School and gathered experience to bring the newcomers this year. Among those returners are senior Taylor Johnson and junior Emma Jones, both ready to take their skills to the next level and build off of last year.

“It is no different from any other sports I have played as far as the bonding aspect. Just being able to hang out with the team on the bus rides and at the meets is really fun. Everyone in the program is very supportive of each other and we just try to push each other every day to get better,” said Jones. 

“I really like the aggression and competitiveness, but it is different from so many other sports. I just try to give it my all and embrace it,” said Johnson. “Our program being an official recognized sport is a big step in the right direction and will only help our numbers continue to grow in the ensuing future.”

Go support wrestling this Wednesday, the 19th, in a dual meet at Parkrose High School.

For more information on both girls and boys wrestling, including this season’s schedule, click here.