Foster Care Christmas Party

Back to Article
Back to Article

Foster Care Christmas Party

Tetrin Presnell, Reporter

Scappoose High School annually hosts a Christmas party for children in foster care. In the weeks leading up to the party, students and teachers donate hats, scarves, gloves, and toys which are placed under the giving tree in the lobby. These are later given to  foster children who may not have them. This year’s party was on December 11, 2018. There is hot cocoa, cupcakes, and cotton candy for everyone to enjoy during the evening. Each kid gets a present, such as a toy pony set, Play-dough, or a football. Kids can enjoy a cake walk and win mini candy canes as prizes. They also get to go see Santa and tell him what they want for the holidays.

The first annual Christmas party was started over 20 years ago by a club called Natural Helpers, which is now known as Dude Be Nice. It is organized by Leadership and Dude Be Nice and is ran by volunteers. The Department of Human Services contacts all foster kids, foster families, and even biological family when possible within Columbia County to invite them to the party. The contacted people then RSVP and the DHS provides the high school with numbers so that we can have the appropriate number of presents and supplies. The last couple of years, St. Helens’ Elk’s Club has helped out with donations of pajamas, desserts, money, and adults to help out.

All of this hard work pays off when the kids get presents and treats that they wouldn’t have otherwise gotten. Their eyes light up when they see Santa Claus, and smiles and treats abound.