THE CANDLE

SHS Graduates Give Valuable Insight on Their College Experience so Far

Linnaea Kavulich, Tevin Jeannis; High School Graduates, College Students and College Sport Participants

Back to Article
Back to Article

Henry Goldammer, Reporter

As High School students, we are constantly pressured to know exactly what we want to do when we graduate. More and more people are going to college, and with that in mind, how can you prepare? Outgoing seniors, this is a story for you.

Linnaea graduated from SHS as valedictorian, a great Track and Field runner along with Cross Country. She holds school records in the 1500 and 3000, and she continued to do Track and Field in college at PSU.

Tevin graduated with Linnaea in 2018. He was one of the most skilled football players for SHS in his year, and was accepted as a walk-on for U of O.

The Candle News reached out to the two graduates to hear about their transitions from SHS to college.

How do the teachers change? Are they more strict/less? Do you get to talk to them on a personal level still like you did at SHS?

L: I would say as a rule professors are less strict in college, if by strict you mean firm on deadlines, attendance, etc. I think there’s a recognition that everyone in class is choosing to pursue a higher education and that allows professors to be less concerned with motivating students and more focused on the material. It’s not that they’re less invested in student success, but I think it feels like less of a responsibility, and as a result the student can pretty much do as they please.

I don’t know all my professors personally, part of that comes with attending a larger university, but I’ve had a couple who were absolutely wonderful that I’ve been able to connect with. It’s different from high school in that you don’t get the inevitable familiarity that comes from seeing one another every day, so if you want to get to know your professor, it takes more of an effort (one that’s completely worthwhile in my opinion).

T: My professors in college are less strict than I was anticipating. They don’t hold your hand as much and do not care if you have a bad grade or not. Its put onto you to make the choice to pay attention in class and to make class on time to take notes. So they don’t care if you show up late or have your phone out in class because, in the end, that’s only going to hurt your grade. Getting to talk to your professors on a personal level depends on what type of class it is. For example, my writing class had only 20 students when my Business 240 class had 400 students. It’s really based on the amount of time they have to talk and how many people are trying to ask them all sorts of questions.

How is the freedom? Like having a dorm and making your own choices?

L: I actually live just a bit off campus in an apartment with some teammates (I got lucky and skipped living in the dorms). I do like making my own choices, but I’ve been making my own choices all along so my everyday isn’t too different from high school. I think I go to bed earlier now than I did in high school.

T :Freedom is very nice. Even though being on the football team takes out a lot of my free time, I still feel like I have a few hours in the day to do whatever I want to do. That may consist of playing Xbox, sleeping, playing basketball at the rec center, or watching Netflix.

Everyone says that as a college student, you eat lots of Cup Noodles, that true? Haha

L: Haha. Nope. I still make those weird smoothies I brought to track meets. My coaches actually love to tease me about how I bring my meals in Mason jars when we travel. Not being on a meal plan (meal plans are only required if you live on campus at my university) means I get to buy/make all my food and that’s important to me. I just make sure to buy what I need on sale or in bulk and I save money there. I think it’s critical (in college and always) to take care of your body so this is definitely an area that I prioritize. But I’m probably not representing college students as a whole, I know a lot of people who would love some cup noodles right now.

T: What you eat is all up to you. If you are lazy and don’t really want to cook or walk to get food you may find yourself eating Cup of Noodles and other things every day. I’ve maybe eaten about 30 Top Ramens.

What about athletics? What’s are the workouts like? The coaches?

L: I am so pleased with my coaching staff. Seriously, I don’t know how I got so lucky. On top of Seitz and Hepburn (assistant and head coach, respectively), we have some wonderful volunteer coaches: Colleen Quigley (current olympian/pro runner) and Alan Webb (American record holder in the mile). It’s simultaneously inspiring and nerve-wracking to have either one of them calling out splits in a workout.

It’s funny because for the most part, everything in training feels easier. That could just be the result of not having to hear John’s jokes for 6-12 miles every day. My mileage has increased, but nothing crazy. I typically hit 55-62 miles in a week. One thing I absolutely miss is the heavy lifting and agility work that we’d do in sports training.

I think more generally, college athletics is a lot more specialized. Sort of a ‘we pick one thing and do it well’ attitude. Seitz would never let me triple jump at a meet just because I wanted to.

One of the craziest parts of competing is traveling. I don’t know if I’ll every get used to getting on an airplane to go to a meet. Last week we spent 5 days in California at a meet.

T:Being an athlete has its pros and cons. For Oregon, you can have a personal tutor for any classes that you are taking, you get a lot of free meals, and clothes. The cons are the busy schedule and the fact that you are always in need of a nap. The workouts depend on what part of the year we are in. So during the spring we usually had early meetings at 7 AM then we would head out to practice until 11:15. As soon as practice ended I would then have to rush, shower, eat, drive to my apartment, get my school bag, make the bus to campus and make it on time for my noon class.

What do you wish you knew before you went to college?

L: I feel like I knew pretty well what I was getting into. One thing I wish I knew the importance of (because I was definitely told this) is exploring your options. Senior year is crazy enough, and it’s so difficult to know what you really want in a college without having attended one before, but I’d say spend as much time as you can applying to a variety of schools and figuring out what matters to you.

T:I wish I knew to get more sweatshirts and sweats because that’s really all I wear. I also wish I knew how to cook for myself, so I am not forced to eat out every time the football team does not have dinner pick up.

What things or classes at SHS helped you in college?

L: All of my AP/dual credit classes have been helpful in college. For one thing, it’s lovely to have some basic prerequisite classes out of the way so you can get to the fun stuff (upper division courses) sooner. And then I’ve just found that the high expectations of those classes make the transition rather easy. For instance, I’ve had so many college classes (even honors classes) where you’re allowed a full page of notes on an exam. I would also like to give special recognition to Steinke’s anatomy class – nothing I’ve done in college has been that challenging yet. I don’t believe it’s being offered this year but if you want to boost your confidence going into college, I’d recommend that class.

T:The class that has helped me the most so far is Poster’s business class teaching me the fundamentals that go into business and the basics of being an entrepreneur.