THE CANDLE

Scappoose boys swim place 9th at 4A state meet

Members of the Scappoose boys swim team, went to Mt. Hood Community College to participate in the 4A/3A/2A/1A state swim meet, where they placed ninth.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Left to right: William Harley, Will Blair, Quincy Reynolds, Brannigan Vogt, Nash Wilson, and Bryant Sharp

Jaden Wardwell, Reporter

Last Friday and Saturday, members of the Scappoose boys swim team went to Mt. Hood Community College, to face some of the best swimmers in the state.

Freshman Will Blair was the schools’ top finisher placing 5th in the 50 freestyle, swimming a 23.23 in finals. He became the first swimmer in Scappoose history to place in the 50m freestyle. He was the only freshman in the event.

The Medley Relay of Nash Wilson, Will Harley, Brannigan Vogt and Bryant Sharp, swam their second fastest time ever: 1:51.20. Narrowly missing their own school record and placing 6th.

The 200 yard freestyle relay team of Sharp, Harley, Blair and Quincy Reynolds, set a school record in prelims. With a time of 1:34.81 they ended up placing 6th in finals.

The 400 yard freestyle team of Wilson, Reynolds, Blair, and Vogt swam their second best ever in finals finishing at 3:31, good for 6th place.

All 3 relays finished in the top 6, which had never been done in school history until Saturday.

When asked about how it felt to do so well, Junior Quincy Reynolds said, “Words cannot describe how it feels. Truly. This is what we have worked all year for.” Reynolds, was a part of the 400m freestyle, and 200m freestyle team, that set the school records for the events this season. He, Wilson, Sharp, and Blair, will be the only returning members of the state team next year.

“This season was so much fun. I’m so proud that our relays made it to state and placed in finals. Spending the season with my teammates, and friends, made it even better, along with my amazing coach. I could not have asked for a better season, or better people to help me get here.” Said Sophomore Bryant Sharp. Sharp, was a part of the school record setting medley relay team, and 200m freestyle team, and this was his first year going to state.

For full results, visit http://www.osaa.org/activities/bsw/results?div=4A/3A/2A/1A

About the Writer
Jaden Wardwell, Reporter

Grade: 11

Years on Staff: 1

Most Passionate About: Sports, music and writing.

Favorite Quote: “A mind is a terrible...